This test is done to evaluate how your body is processing sugar and to determine if you have developed Gestational Diabetes(Diabetes of Pregnancy).
The test requires a total of 4 blood draws. The first is done fasting (after you have had nothing to eat or drink for at least 8-12 hours prior –except water)
Then you will be given a glucose liquid to drink that has a specific amount of sugar in it. Blood samples will be taken 1, 2, and 3 hours after you have completed this drink.
In preparation for this test:
- You should eat your normal diet prior to the day of testing
- Do not eat, drink, smoke, or exercise for at least 8-12 hours before your first blood sample is taken. You may drink plain water but no other beverages.
- This test may take up to 4 hours to complete. Activity can interfere with the results so you will need to remain in the lab for the duration of the test.
- Consider bringing something to read or a project to work on while waiting.
- You may drink water so feel free to bring your own cup or water bottle.
- Once the test is completed, you may resume normal eating and drinking. You may be hungry once the test is finished so you may want to bring along a light snack to eat before leaving or driving home.
Gestational Diabetes is typically diagnosed when two or more of the results are elevated. Your doctor may also use other criteria to make the diagnosis.